Thursday, January 5, 2017

Poetry Friday: Snowtastrophe!

With a predicted snowstorm in North Carolina and apologies to Dean Martin, I humored myself (and probably no one else) and wrote the poem below. To find much better examples of poetry, check out Poetry Friday at TeacherDance

Snowtastrophe! written by Jeff Barger

When there’s no bread on a shelf,
And no milk for yourself,
It’s Snowtastrophe!

On the roads they’ll lay brine,
You buy gas, sit in line
It’s Snowtastrophe!

Flakes will fall from the sky,
If they don’t, we will cry,
It’s Snowtastrophe!

Stuck inside, parents cringe,
So to Netflix, they will binge,
It’s Snowtastrophe!

Kids will cheer, school is out,
Even louder, teachers will shout,
It’s Snowtastrophe!

This is snow in the South,
It’ll be 40 inches, word of mouth,
It’s Snowtastrophe!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the laugh Jeff. Definitely humored me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...We had a snowpocalypse in my part of the world, too. A few inches of snow and the whole city shuts down as the residents run around in a blind panic. Did I mention I live in Canada? Yeah, the other cities laugh at us. ;-) Bundle up and stay safe and warm as you weather the weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let them laugh, Jane! As you said, we'll just smile and bundle up. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Snow in Lubbock where my son is too! What a crazy storm, and you made such a wonderful response to it. Good laughs, but I guess not everyone is laughing! Stay warm and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to live in NC and laugh my head off at the hysteria a prediction of snow would cause. Now I'm in Boston where snow doesn't cancel much, just adds to our traveling time calculations. Not very many rush to buy milk when it's forecast. Great poem, it really brought me back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hysteria is the perfect word, Brenda! Thank you for visiting and for your kind words.

      Delete
  5. What a fun poem! We were home in NC this week for a late Christmas celebration and left a day early to avoid the snowtastrophe. Of course, we're driving through snow on our way home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you made it home okay! Thank you for taking time to stop by, Kay!

      Delete