Thursday, January 26, 2017

Gushing Over New Baby Animals Books

Baby Animals Take a Nap
Baby Animals Take a Bath
written by Marsha Diane Arnold; illustrated by Phyllis Tildes
2017 (Charlesbridge)
Source: Review copies provided by the publisher

Quick question. You get 20 seconds to answer. How many different ways can animals take a bath? 2nd question: How many different ways can animals take a nap? Cue The Price is Right losing sound because you did not name all eight ways. I heard the losing sound myself which is one of the reasons I really like these board books. After reading, you'll think "Wow, that didn't occur to me." Each book features 8 different animals bathing and napping. The illustrations are an 11 on the cute-o-meter but they're based in reality which makes it even better. Plus, you get some cool science vocabulary like dust, pouch, and steam. You'll be dropping knowledge on your toddler like Skittles from an open bag. Here are two examples from the Take a Nap book:

When I finished reading one of these books, I might show my toddler a video of otters and talk about how they hold paws so they don't lose each other. That's a great lesson when your child isn't thrilled about holding your hand in the grocery store parking lot. Now you can "play otters" and march right in to buy bread and milk before the snowstorm hits. You can thank me later. Seriously, I see these board books being a gateway to greater learning. 

3 comments:

  1. What sweet books! I have a new great-granddaughter and these would make wonderful gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theses are wonderful books! I can see how there could be lots of room for reading comprehension in one of these. And science vocabulary. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look amazing, and I always love your reviewing style and extra ideas! Thanks for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com this week!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete