Saturday, October 1, 2016

Papertoy Glowbots Day!! October 1st

Papertoy Glowbots
created by Brian Castleforte and a cast of cool papertoy artists
2016 (Workman Publishing)
Source: Review copy provided by the publisher

Glowbots come in all shapes, sizes, and personalities - from cute, friendly robots, to strong, serious robots, to giant, scary robots. 

I can make change. I can make an argument. What I can't make are things. I'm talking about stuff that needs scissors and glue and other crafty items. My former students probably thought I was allergic to the fun crafts that come with the holidays. Well, no more! Thanks to the authors of Papertoy Glowbots, I am a new person. I created CH1PP3R 1324. There are 46 robots that you can make in this book. I chose CH1PP3R because the handy yellow tab said the difficulty level was easy. Each robot is featured in a two page spread. On the left side, there is a large photograph of your robot with a text box below it. In the box, you get a description, the function of the robot, and its abilities. On the right side of the spread, there are the assembly instructions which are easy to follow. It's definitely not like some of the birthday presents that I have had to assemble in the past. One of the things that sets Papertoy Glowbots apart from other craft books is that it also provides a narrative for each robot. The creators of the book explicitly promote using your imagination as you play with these robots. They scaffold this with the narrative. CH1PP3R 1324 can calculate requests in nanoseconds because it has circuit chips running throughout its body. Here's my version of CH1PP3R:

I would recommend that you have glue nearby. I had to use tape, but I was still able to put it together. There's a spring inside that lifts the robot body up. It took a craftily challenged person like myself about an hour to create it. I'm so proud.

Papertoy Glowbots would be a great gift for a kid. This will take their eyes off a screen and have them working with their hands. It definitely will lead to students writing imaginative narratives with a freshly made robot on their desk. With a cool set of glow-in-the-dark stickers to decorate your robots, this is one time where it's not a bad thing for robots to take over your world. At least for a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment