Friday, August 5, 2016

A Few Thoughts on Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
story by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne
2016 (Arthur A. Levine)
Source: I bought it!

I didn't choose, you know that? I didn't choose to be his son.

This is going to be a little different from my other posts since I need to tread lightly around plot points as to not be a spoiler. This script, from the West End production of the play, revolves around the relationship between Harry Potter and his youngest son Albus. First, I like that I'm reading a script as opposed to a novel . It made my brain work a little differently and I adjusted quickly. The story starts at King's Cross where Deathly Hallows left off. Harry is comforting a nervous Albus who is beginning his first year at Hogwarts. After finishing Book 7, I assume the Potters live happily ever after, but both Albus and Harry struggle in their careers and with each other. As a parent of a teenager and a tween, this struggle rings true. Albus, trying to find himself with such a famous father and the expectations that come with it. Harry, the Boy Who Lived, has to figure out how to be the Father Who Loved. Not easy tasks for either Potter. Other familiar characters are woven into the script, with a few surprise ones making appearances.

I started the book around 7:00 yesterday evening and finished it at 1:00 in the morning, so I had the same exhilarating experience as reading previous Potter novels. It was a fun read with the usual roller coaster of emotions. I applaud J.K. Rowling for daring to go back to the Potter well. It's a brave thing where, other than money, she probably hasn't a lot to gain by doing this. Cursed Child won't end up being your favorite piece of Potter literature, but it's a worthy addition that fits well with the novels. Now on to the Magical Beasts movie in November.


No comments:

Post a Comment