Sunday, August 9, 2015

B is for Bedtime

B is for Bedtime
written by Margaret Hamilton; illustrated by Anna Pignataro
2015 (Kane Miller)
Source: Review copy provided by the publisher

O is for the Owl outside in the tree, 
P for Pajamas, now shake my foot free. 

What do I want from a bedtime book? First, I'm looking for illustrations or photographs that grab my eyeballs and keep them stuck on the page. B is for Bedtime is chock full of adorable drawings of a little girl preparing for a good night's sleep. If you can throw in a cute animal, even better. The dog in this book steals the show. Second, the text needs to have a catch. I like rhyme because a nice rhythm can be soothing which you really need at bedtime. The cadence with this text is consistent and rolls off your tongue. I also appreciate that there is a familiar routine that sends you right into bedtime. This is a big deal when you are preparing a young one for sleep. Finally, I want a text and pictures where the reader can make connections. That makes it more interactive for the reader. I love, love, love that the individual parents and grandma are included in the text. Very sweet. There are teddy bears and blankets, pajamas and lullabies. All of the elements that you expect in a bedtime story are right here. Plus, it's not super long or too cloyingly sweet so that's a bonus for the adult who reads the book EVERY night.

If you want to win the baby shower, buy this book. Imagine the oohs and aahs and jealous looks that you will receive when your gift is opened. It will be passed around and fawned over as opposed to the pack of onesies or the diaper changer. You can thank me later.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fantastic bedtime book! Your checklist is similar to mine, I need text that's easy to read and pictures that engage my toddler. I will definitely pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking for a great new bedtime book, and this one looks great! Pinning for later. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book at Booknificent Thursday this week! I always appreciate the way you turn a phrase in your reviews.
    Tina

    ReplyDelete