Thursday, January 15, 2015

Louise Loves Art

Louise Loves Art
written and illustrated by Kelly Light
2014 (Balzer + Bray)
Source: Review copy provided by the publisher

So little time, so much to draw. One of these drawings will be my masterpiece- the greatest drawing I have ever done!

Louise is joyful in her pursuit of the perfect drawing. She finds it in observing the poses of her cat (The cat steals the show in this book.). Louise's love of art has inspired her little brother Art (great wordplay) to create his own masterpieces as well. Unfortunately, Louise was busy getting ready for her latest showing and could not pay attention to him. As she prepared, she lost sight of her brother who took hold of the masterpiece. Little Art made a few edits to Louise's drawing. What Louise did next explains the title and teaches all of us a lesson in humility and love.

I've shared this book with the kindergarten class that reports back to me about the books that I feature here. They loved it and I can see why. The facial expressions of the characters are so good that you could cover up the words and use this as a wordless book. I especially like the cat. His facial contortions are hilarious. I also love the use of the color red in this book. It really catches the reader's eye. Kelly Light's illustrative mix of over-dramatic Louise looks, cat poses, humor and sweetness reminds me of Tony Fucile's work on the Bink and Gollie series.

I will use Louise Loves Art when we teach about how illustrations add to the plot of a story. It's also a great book to use to teach the character trait of humility. If you are looking to freshen up your cache of small moment stories, you should add this book as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment