Monday, August 11, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Check out the books at Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers.










Last Week

Matilda's Cat is a sweet story that illustrates the relationship between a little girl and her cat. Since it's Emily Gravett, it has a clever twist. There need to be more Emily Gravett units in K-1. Just my two cents.








I'm about halfway through this book. What has been most interesting to me so far is the comparison of Japanese and American teaching methods. The Japanese teachers adopted methods that were created in America, but so far not widely adopted here. The key to improving our public schools is improving our corps of teachers. Building a Better Teacher can help in that effort.







If you are interested in trying to write a children's book, or if you teach writing, then you will find this book to be a good resource. The character bible section is particularly helpful.

 

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more about Emily Gravett! I love her books so much. I just read Matilda's Cat a couple of weeks ago and it's maybe my new favorite, but then I have a small cat obsession so that's only natural. The Building a Better Teacher book is one I haven't heard of--will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Jeff, just like what Elisabeth noted above, I love Emily Gravett too! I haven't read of this particular title, though, so I will definitely be on the lookout for that one. If you're into the basics of writing children's books, might I recommend Uri Shulevitz's Writing with Pictures. May be more for author-illustrators, really, but worth checking out. I featured that in our Saturday Reads here: http://gatheringbooks.org/2014/03/29/saturday-reads-uri-shulevitz-writing-with-pictures-a-quintessential-manual-for-illustrators/

    ReplyDelete