Monday, June 23, 2014

What I'm Reading This Week

Last Week


The remarkable Peter Sis strikes again. His illustrations are so detailed that I take it as a challenge to try and interpret everything on the pages. I knew very little about Antoine De Saint-Exupery so I enjoyed reading this text too. Pair it with The Wall if you teach older students. Don't be afraid of picture books if you teach above 4th grade. Sis's books would work well with older readers that have a sense of history.



Jason Chin rocks! If you teach K-2, you need to find this book. It's not often that an author can write a piece of nonfiction about a complex subject and break it down for the primary crowd.



This is a powerful picture book that tells the story of a group of slaves on a Texas plantation who learn of their freedom over two years after the Emancipation Proclamation was written. It's a great introduction to the holiday of Juneteenth. This book is collecting stars so it's getting a lot of deserved attention. Look for it to pick up some awards.

This Week

Claudia Mills, illustrated by Rob Shepperson Kelsey Green, Reading Queen



9 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on All Different Now. This is a new title to me, and I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously, I'm going to have to pick up this new Claudia Mills series. She's been around long enough that I've actually deaccessioned some of her older titles that just wouldn't circulate. Zero Tolerance was interesting, though, so I'll have to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore Peter Sis so I definitely need to read his new title. I have it on hold at the library but it hasn't come in yet.

    I absolutely adored All Different Now. What a powerful story and a great example of using picture books to supplement a history textbook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love The Little Prince, & have seen others talk so avidly about the Peter Sis about Saint-Exupery. I know it must be wonderful. Thanks for sharing the others, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked Kelsey Green Reading Queen (read it aloud to my 5th-grade son, who also liked it). I am eyeing that new Peter Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I received the Peter Sis book at TLA and had it autographed. I noticed it was also selected as a Jr. Library Guild selection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved The Little Prince. Now I want to read the Peter Sis book to learn more about the writer behind one of my favorite stories. The Gravity book looks interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All three of these picture books are going on the TBR list. Thanks for sharing! Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All Different Now sounds like a perfect book for our upcoming reading theme, Jeff! Thanks for alerting me to that one. :)

    ReplyDelete