Friday, January 3, 2014

Poetry Friday: Looking for a Sunset Bird in Winter


Photograph by Dick Mudde

Today's poem is for all those who are being pummeled by winter. Even in my southern climate, we are feeling the cold in the coming days. I don't know how people live in International Falls, MN. I'm not tough enough to live there. 

Looking For a Sunset Bird in Winter by Robert Frost

The west was getting out of gold,
The breath of air had died of cold,
When shoeing home across the white,
I thought I saw a bird alight.


In summer when I passed the place
I had to stop and lift my face;
A bird with an angelic gift
Was singing in it sweet and swift.


No bird was singing in it now.
A single leaf was on a bough,
And that was all there was to see
In going twice around the tree.


From my advantage on a hill
I judged that such a crystal chill
Was only adding frost to snow
As gilt to gold that wouldn't show.


A brush had left a crooked stroke
Of what was either cloud or smoke
From north to south across the blue;
A piercing little star was through.


Check out Poetry Friday at I Think in Poems.



7 comments:

  1. What an appropriate poem. I am here in my slippers and sweater staying warm while it is negative 17 outside! YIKES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are staying warm! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. He had a way with winter, old Frost. So love this stanza:
    From my advantage on a hill
    I judged that such a crystal chill
    Was only adding frost to snow
    As gilt to gold that wouldn't show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably too easy to pick a Frost poem, but when you read stanzas like you mentioned, it's hard to pass up. Thanks for stopping by, Tara!

      Delete
  3. Driving home from a late lunch/early dinner today, we were commenting on the amazing light. We had pinks, not golds, but

    "A brush had left a crooked stroke
    Of what was either cloud or smoke
    From north to south across the blue;
    A piercing little star was through."

    Welcome back to PF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frost always adds himself into winter scenes and comments upon himself so self-deprecatingly (as if adding "frost" to the scene was the equivalent of adding gilt to gold, and wouldn't show! I think he wanted to show a bit, maybe....)

    Wow, that is one beautiful photograph at the top of the post. And brrrrrrr.....in Seattle today we had blue skies, and sunshine - the thermometer hit a balmy 44 degrees. For those of you in that terrible snow storm we've been reading about, bundle up, stay warm (and stay inside!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful poem, and one I wasn't familiar with before, but am glad to have read here. Thank you! We're avoiding the "crystal chill" here, too, which came in at -35 degrees with wind chill. Brrrr...

    ReplyDelete