Sunday, April 14, 2013

Nonfiction Monday: Animal Geometry


Welcome to Nonfiction Monday. Thank you for coming! You can leave your link below with Mr. Linky. Today I am having a cover release party for my debut book Animal Geometry. It will be published by EarlyLight Books in the fall. A big thank you to Dawn Cusick for taking a chance on me and for being so patient. If you haven't read any books from EarlyLight, you should click on the link. They are fun and informative books. 

So what are we trying to accomplish with this book? It is a survey of geometry based in the animal world. I was teaching 5th grade last year and wrestling with topics in geometry and that is how this book was born. I want to make geometry more accessible and have students make connections not only to the animal world but to their world as well. While it is structured like a textbook, it doesn't read like one. I think you can approach informational text with a skewed eye and a sense of humor. It will be up to the readers to decide whether I succeeded or not. Although I wasn't thinking of the Common Core when I starting writing this book, I believe it is a great fit for this era. You can teach math, science, and language arts lessons with this text. Read the selection below and decide for yourself (hit control plus to get a better look!):


Thank you to the children's literature blogging community. This book would not have happened if not for your example, guidance, kindness, and support. I have learned so much. Another big thank you to Mary Lee (A Year of Reading) and Tricia (The Miss Rumphius Effect) for the generous book cover blurbs! Thank you, thank you, thank you!





20 comments:

  1. Jeff,

    Congratulations on your book! That is fabulous to hear. Isn't it fun to see your name there on the cover?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun and a little strange. It's like it is someone else and not me. Thank you for coming by!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations!!! Jeff, Animal Geometry looks terrific -- I'm certain it will be very popular, and a perfect fit for the Common Core Curriculum. I can't wait to read the entire book. Bravo!! Off to tweet about it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanne! I appreciate the tweeting.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, Jeff! I will pass along your terrific book to my math colleagues. Just what they will love to pass along, in turn, to their students! And thank you for hosting today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tara! I hope they like it.

      Delete
  4. This is great Jeff! I bet your book will be really enjoyed by kids. I've used animal maths books with my eldest and the transposition of maths into a realm of discovery and cute or weird animals definitely helped maintain her interest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have Lincoln's Grave Robbers up-- not technically nonfiction-- always hard to tell with Sheinkin because he tells such a good story! Congratulations on your book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Linking math to something (animals) that resonates more strongly with children is a great idea. The book looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Animal Geometry - it looks SO COOL! I can't wait to read it, and to share it with a buncha teachers I know. Congratulations - this looks like a wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your book! Animals + math= awesome

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your first book, Jeff! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks great! Will it be available through book jobbers like Baker & Taylor (That's the only way we can order)?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for hosting and congratulations.
    My selection "Alex the parrot: no ordinary bird" written by Stephanie Spinner and illustrated by Meilo So.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for hosting the Non Fiction monday. Its a great collection of books i find here. The animal geometry book looks very interesting. I think the easier shapes are easier to identify.. we must try the complex figures out too :)
    -Reshama
    www.stackingbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the book, can't wait to read it. Sounds like a great idea. How exciting. Bookends Blog is featuring two nonfiction picture books about Henry Knox and his feat of moving cannons over 300 miles to Boston to come to the aid of George Washington. We also include some Common Core Connections with our post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your book looks Awesome! I was a college math instructor for ten years before I became a librarian, and I'm still a math nut. I love books that give the playful side to math! I want it!

    Thanks for hosting Nonfiction Monday! My review today is "Stay: The True Story of Ten Dogs," by Michaela Muntean, an inspiring story of a circus performer who suffered a terrible accident. He then rehabilitated himself by rehabilitating dogs and forming a dog act.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a great book! So happy for you and can't wait to share it with kids and math teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your book looks like one my students will enjoy. I look forward to seeing it in print!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jeff! Wow! Congratulations on your new book! It looks absolutely fabulous - your students must be so thrilled as well that their teacher is such a hotshot author! :)

    ReplyDelete