Monday, April 22, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Check out It's Monday! What Are You Reading? at Teach Mentor Texts

Last Week

Another shameless plug for my debut book that is coming out in the fall. I had the cover release party last Monday. If you teach math in grades 3-8, you will like this book. It's still really weird to see that name at the bottom of the cover.








Wow, wow, wow. You won't be forgetting Ruby Pepperdine any time soon. She is deeply troubled by her not listening at a crucial time with her beloved grandmother. Now she is worried that she has permanently messed up her life, and no one is noticing. I am amazed in the same way that I was when I read When You Reach Me.  How do these authors pull all of this together and shift so effortlessly between settings? I also don't mind admitting that there was a part where my eyes might have watered a little. Probably the pollen.





The Tell-Tale Start was a fun read. It's a clever story and the boys are likable characters. I especially enjoyed the interaction in the after-world between their namesake and Shakespeare.  I think 5th graders and higher will enjoy the adventures of these identical twins. The literary references will send readers scrambling for Google or the search engine of their choice.







Castle is a cool nonfiction early reader. It will appeal to dragon lovers and those interested in learning about soldiers. I think it would also be a good book for older struggling readers who need to add nonfiction to their reading diet.








The Three Bears ABC is an inventive use of the alphabet book. I haven't read an alphabet book based on a story, but this makes a lot of sense. You can use this to teach prediction and alliteration.









Next Week

It's the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg and the Gettysburg Address. If you teach US History or are a history lover like myself, you owe it to yourself to find this book. The artwork is amazing.

4 comments:

  1. I can never have too many beautiful books on the Gettysburg address - and this one looks stunning. Urban's book is on my to be read list, it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Center of Everything is a touching book and the Gettysburg book is indeed stunning. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Animal Geometry looks very interesting...I can't say I've read anything like it. Congratulations on turning your ideas into reality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole! I appreciate your kind thoughts. Now I'll just sit on it like a mother hen and see what happens.

      Delete