Monday, March 25, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Check out It's Monday! What Are You Reading? at Teach Mentor Texts


Last Week



I'm late to the party, but this is a wonderful story. It's very easy to see why it won the Newbery. If you are teaching point of view, how could you do better than this? I love Ivan's wry statements about humans. There is some heartbreak, but it's an animal story so you know that comes with the territory. I would be curious how low you could go grade level wise to use this as a read aloud. I teach second grade and feel it might not fit there. I see it as a fourth or fifth grade read aloud at the lowest, but I'm probably wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. Needless to say, I won't look at zoos in the same way.




Love, love, love this book. I read it aloud to my whole class and also used it in groups to work on retell. It is so original and funny. Like Ivan, it would be a great text for a lesson on point of view. The dark illustrations are perfect. Maybe even Hitchcockian I dare say.










It's Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Tom Lichtenheld, so you know it is going to be original, thoughtful, and very funny. Teaching children about using endmarks? Find this book and read it.








I have a large group of readers who are now just beginning to be able to read the Magic Tree House books independently. It is so exciting to see this happen. They are stuffing three and four books into their bookbags. Since we studied Vikings in social studies, I read this book to the class. How often do you get to talk to elementary students about the Dark Ages?







Next Week


14 comments:

  1. Oh, how lucky were you to get to meet Ivan?!?! Also loved Exclamation Point. Have you read Wonder? That was another don't-miss from last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to check out Wonder. As a second grade teacher, it's hard to keep up with the novels. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I definitely need to go find Creepy Carrots and Exclamation Mark. I loved being able to recommend Magic Tree House books to my readers when I taught at lower levels. It's a great series. Glad you got to read Ivan too. It is an unforgettable book and excellent for point of view as you said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I loved Ivan's voice and his relationship with Bob. I have a similar relationship with a 25 pound cat that likes to sleep on my chest.

      Delete
  3. I read Ivan a couple of weeks ago, and I absolutely loved it as well. Such a touching story.
    I haven't read Creepy Carrots, but I've heard such great things about that as well as Exclamation Point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of those picture books are worth finding. I recommend reading them more than once and using for different purposes. They hold up very well to multiple readings. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I love Creepy Carrots...such a fun read! Another title from 2012 that you shouldn't miss (if you haven't read it already) is Lions of Little Rock by Kristen Levine. It's fantastic!

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for recommending Lions. Have you read Little Rock Girl 1957?

      Delete
  5. I really loved Creepy Carrots (and everything Peter Brown, basically). And I agree 100% about Amy Rosenthal. Have you read her book for grown-ups, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life? One of my favorites.... I didn't love Ivan as much as many others did (though I did like it), but I do think it's very distinguished in all the Newbery categories, especially theme. I hadn't thought about using it to teach point of view--excellent idea. I would do it as a read-aloud for 3rd. Not sure about 2nd. I am planning to read it aloud as bedtime story to my own kids (1st and 4th grades) soon, so I'll have to see how it goes over with the 1st-grader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read Amy's adult book, but I did get to meet her at a North Carolina reading conference. She was as cool as you would expect her to be. Check back with me when you read Ivan to your 1st grader. I'll be curious to see how that goes. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. My class (and I) adored Ivan!! It was a jumping off point for their research writing project. We decided on researching animal relationships. I agree that 2nd grade is probably too young for Ivan. I read it to 3rd graders and they seemed to be as young as I would dare go. Fourth would love it too. You might want to read Little Dog Lost and see if your kids might like that novel in verse. If you have a dog I bid you good luck on getting through it without a tissue though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd forgotten about Creepy Carrots! Just writing the title makes me smile! I will find it! I'm glad you liked Ivan; I thought it was very special. I just re-read Mrs. Frisbee and The Rats of Nimh & loved it as much as I always have. You might think about it for a read aloud. One of our primary teachers read Ivan to her class; the ages are sevens & eights. Of course you have to think about your class, & maybe it would be okay, or maybe not. If you want to share it, and can have good talks about the serious stuff, it's probably going to be a wonderful experience. Also, love seeing the Viking ship/Treehouse book. Now, that's a conversation! Thanks for all the good details!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there Jeff, I haven't read any of the magic tree house books yet - now I am thinking whether it's something that my eleven year old would enjoy? We borrowed the one and only ivan from the library but we haven't had a chance to read it yet, I'm excited though. I also enjoyed Creepy Carrots, it is a fun book, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Creepy Carrots is so fun. :) And I only just heard of Exclamation Mark so you are ahead of me with that one. Ivan, I love love love. My 3rd grade nephew just sent us Flat Stanley and I'm thinking of sending Ivan back with Flat Stanley...hoping his teacher might read it aloud. It's a book that needs to be read!

    ReplyDelete