Monday, March 4, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Check out It's Monday! What Are You Reading? at Teach Mentor Texts

Last Week

Our class worked on visualizing, so I read the following books to them:

As a reading response to The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, I asked students to imagine where Morris is now and what is he doing. They were able to sketch a picture and write a paragraph to support their answer.







For Not a Stick, I asked students to show what their "not a stick" looked like and what they imagined would be its purpose.





My co-teaching colleague, Paula, read Dear Mr. Blueberry and asked students to visualize what they thought Mr. Blueberry looked like. I was not aware of this title and was delighted as I listened to Paula read it.









I rarely venture into novel land, but my wife and oldest daughter insisted that I read the first chapter of Three Times Lucky. With a character named after Dale Earnhardt, I was hooked. I immensely enjoyed reading this mystery set in Eastern North Carolina and appreciate that I could escape in a book for a few hours. I tend to forget how good that feels.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Mr. Blueberry is one of my favorite picture books ever. I'm glad you found it. Not a Stick looks interesting...sort of reminds me of Spoon or Fork, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading Three Times Lucky right now! I just love it. The characters are so quirky and fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Three Times Lucky in my book pile...perhaps it's time to move it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the Morris app and enjoyed reading it a lot. That is a very interesting conversation to have. I will try it with DD. Thanks for suggesting.
    -Reshama
    www.stackingbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there Jeff! Great to see familiar titles here. I reviewed Mr Lessmore during our books about books theme - it's interesting to see how different your book cover is from the one we have here. And Dear Mr Blueberry - we featured that when we had our "Message in a Bottle" theme (featuring books written in epistolary format) sometime in 2011. It's quite lovely isn't it. I know what you mean about escaping through books. They're the greatest portals ever - wondrous reprieve from the world being too much with us. :)

    ReplyDelete