Thursday, February 14, 2013

STEM Friday: 1,2,3 ... By the Sea

1,2,3 ... By the Sea
written by Dianne Moritz; illustrated by Hazel Mitchell
2013 (Kane Miller)
Source: Review copy provided by the publisher

Check out STEM Friday for more math and science links

Striped umbrellas in the sun ...
flapping, snapping
We rent ONE.

If your child is in preschool, or you know someone with a child in preschool, go find this book right now. You can come back later and read what I am writing. Why am I so enthusiastic about 1,2,3 ... By the Sea? I have two daughters and I spent a gazillion hours reading bedtime stories to them. I don't know a whole lot, but I usually know an exceptional bedtime book and this is one. It also works at other times of the day as well. A young boy, his mother, and their dog Max go to the beach for a day of fun. Each two page spread features an element of beach life. The trio encounter seagulls, surfers, jellyfish, and other inhabitants of the area. I love the language in this book. Seagulls do more than fly in the sky. They squawk and flock. Surfers lunge and plunge. This is great vocabulary to share with a preschooler. And did you see the cover of this book? Illustrations with  pleasing bright colors take you away from your 42 degree dreary winter days (not that I'm bitter) and plop you into a perfect blue sky with big cumulus clouds and crashing waves. Pass the sunscreen please. This is a book that I could read over and over again with a child and not get tired of it.

I could see preschool or kindergarten students making a class booklet based on 1,2,3 ... By the Sea. You could make one for each season. This book is also a great read aloud book for math. I would pair it with other favorite counting books (Hippos Go Beserk by Sandra Boynton is a fave of mine.) and have students use teddy bear counters to count as you read the book.

If you are tired of gray winter weather, count to three and head to the beach with 1,2,3 ... By the Sea!


1 comment:

  1. I could use a trip to the beach, myself! Thanks for sharing at The Children's Bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete