Thursday, January 3, 2013

Poetry Friday: Killing Me With Kindness

Photography by Albert Jankowski

Check out Poetry Friday at Radio, Rhythm and Rhyme

After every holiday season, I am left with large amounts of desserts that have been given as gifts. It is my own fault since I am not shy about my love for sweets. I would be a hypocrite to complain since I gift others in the same manner, but there comes a time where I will simply sweep out what is left and start anew with vows of fruits and vegetables. This lasts until the first Girl Scout shows up at my door with an offer of Thin Mints. I dedicate this simple haiku to anyone else who suffers from this malady each year. 

Killing Me With Kindness

Piles of  boxed candy
Dessert gifts under the tree
I need a carrot



12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Can you go wrong with a gift of chocolate? The answer is no.

      Delete
  2. Right there with you! I wish all this sweet stuff would go away because I can't (don't?) stay out of it! Bring on the carrots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as there is a side of ranch dressing as well.

      Delete
  3. Very nice! Chocolate freezes well, I hear. Maybe you could have a boxed candy shelf in the freezer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent idea! The freezing will begin.

      Delete
  4. Great last line! We've been slowly working through our cookie tins. The fudge was the first thing to go. We still have some pizzelles, cinnamon stars ans sugar cookies. Good thing there are teenagers in the house to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinnamon stars sound wonderful. I will find some local teenagers to help me.

      Delete
  5. Ha! I register the all to the custodians in my school. But carrots, I will keep.

    ReplyDelete