Monday, January 14, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Check out It's Monday! What Are You Reading? at Teach Mentor Texts

Last Week


In our class this past week, we worked on comparing settings from different stories. Nightsong was one of the books we used. It is about a young bat named Chiro who goes out on his own for the first time.  Chiro goes out in the dark to find food and find his way. This is definitely one of the best picture books that I read from this past year. The story and illustrations are wonderful.





The Commander Toad series is so much fun to read. I read Commander Toad and the Space Pirates this past week. The crew of the Star Warts is bored until they are invaded by space pirates. My students were so surprised by the clever ending. If you like puns, you need to read this series. It is one of the most popular series in my class.






One of the most clever writers we have is Amy Krouse Rosenthal. Her books are so smart and funny and there is always a lesson that can be learned. Chopsticks, a follow-up to the terrific Spoon, features two friends who are inseparable. When an accident sidelines one of them, they learn that you can be unique and part of a team.







Next Week


This book is a great addition to our biography collection. I love the glossary with photographs attached. This is my Nonfiction Monday selection for today.










I'm looking forward to sharing this book with my class. It will be published in about three weeks. My second graders loved the first Pinch and Dash book.

5 comments:

  1. I just loved Chopsticks! I found it in a book store on vacation this summer and had to buy it! I'm really interested in Nightsong. It looks like such a cute book. What other books did you use when you compared settings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean by Nightsong - it has such a beautiful lyrical text and the illustrations are beautiful. I fell in love with Chiro - will be reviewing this book in two weeks' time, I think. I've heard a lot about Chopsticks. I hope I can find it in our libraries. Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My students loved Chopsticks and Nightsong. We haven't read Commander Toad and the Space Pirates, but by your description, it sounds like it will be a hit with my students. I'll be looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    I had a lot of free time and didn't think there were a lot of challenges, now I don't know what I'll do when I don't have as much free time as I do now.

    Rivie @ Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why haven't I read Chopsticks? I loved Spork, could be great companion books.

    The cover of Nightsong is enticing. Chiro is adorable!

    ReplyDelete