Monday, December 17, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Check out It's Monday! What Are You Reading? at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last Week:

Bomb was a riveting read for a history nerd like me. This is an account of how the United States built the first atomic bombs and how the Soviet Union was able to obtain classified information about those bombs. One of my favorite parts of the book was the story of Enrico Fermi's work in the city of Chicago. Here he was in the middle of one of the biggest cities in America conducting experiments on fission. Those around him were quite nervous but Fermi was as cool as a cucumber. Bomb also gave me a better understanding of why citizens decided to pass on secrets to the Soviet Union. If you are wondering about its chances for the ALA Awards (it's definitely a contender!), check out the Heavy Medal blog.




Our second grade class is working on writing gingerbread stories so we read several different accounts of the classic story. We worked on comparing settings and comparing the story events themselves. We discovered two different tricks that the fox used to lure his prey and also found that often the gingerbread boy kind of brought his fate upon himself. Most of the gingerbread characters are quite arrogant which leads to their demise.

This is one of my favorites in the gingerbread genre. I like the twist at the end. The Gingerbread Girl Goes Animal Crackers is a worthy sequel.










How can you not like a gingerbread man with spurs? Another entertaining version of the classic story.


I love the infusion of Spanish words in this story. It added a lot of flavor to the reading.







2 comments:

  1. The Gingerbread Man Loose in the School is another fun one. I also like the Eric Kimmel version. I still haven't read Bomb, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. It'll have to go on my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard such wonderful things about Bomb. I love the idea of a text book writer getting to tell the stories he couldn't go into previously.

    ReplyDelete