Sunday, December 9, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Check out It's Monday! What Are You Reading? at Teach Mentor Texts

With my work as a Cybils first round judge for easy readers and early chapter books, I am sharing some of these books with my second grade class. 

Never Trust a Tiger, a story from Korea that has been retold by Lari Don, is the tale of a merchant who is traveling to market to sell his spices. He comes across a pit into which a beguiling tiger has fallen. The tiger sweet talks the merchant into helping him out of the pit. The question at the heart of this story is whether a good deed must be followed by another good deed. In other words, would it be bad form for the tiger to eat his rescuer?






Pete and Gabby are two curious bears who wander into town due to the lack of activity at the campground. The bears visit an ice cream shop, a mail room, and the fire station. Each visit is marked by humans running and bears trying new things with various levels of destruction. My class was highly amused by Pete and Gabby. I loved how the setting changed with each chapter which helped me present mini-lessons on setting and comparing different settings between texts and within the same text. 





Super fast Freddie Ramos makes his fourth appearance in Freddie Ramos Makes a Splash. Freddie is working on dual problems in this story. He is contesting a bully on a green bike who is creating trouble at Starwood Park Apartments, and he is mustering up enough bravery to put his face in the water during his swim lessons. My students love the Freddie Ramos series of books. He is a kid with a super power (purple sneakers) that all of them would like to have. They also appreciate Freddie's humanity. He makes mistakes and faces issues (being honest, bullying, etc.) that they encounter in their lives. 




Next Week

I waited four weeks for a copy of Bomb by Steve Sheinkin to become available at my local library. I will have to carve out some time to read this. It was a National Book Award finalist. 










6 comments:

  1. I'm waiting for the Sheinkin book as well. I liked his Benedict Arnold book but am not quite sure about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I've seen Bomb on enough lists over the past few weeks that I just put a hold on it at my library. Hopefully I'll be able to read it before I have to vote at Nerdy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also seen Bomb everywhere. Must check it out too. Looking forward to seeing what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to reading your thoughts about Bomb...I purchased it for our nonfiction unit in January and my kids havealready been agitating for having a go at it right away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting ready to settle in and start reading Bomb. Thank everyone for stopping by today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jeff, I know that being a first round judge must be tough what with all the books you have GOT to read. I am hoping that you're having fun though despite the massive amount of reading you have to do. BOMB also sounds like an important book. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete