Saturday, October 6, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Check out It's Monday! What Are You Reading? at Teach Mentor Texts

Last Week

It's been another busy week in Mr. Barger's second grade. First, we're reading picture books in writer's workshop to think about small moment versus big moment stories. Two Cynthia Rylant stories were helpful in this cause:
 
(Big moment)                                                          (Small moment)


Another small moment story that was well enjoyed was Nighttime Ninja by Barbara DeCosta and illustrated by Ed Young. The goal of the ninja's mission, ice cream, can not be underestimated. 


I'm also reading easy readers and early chapter books for my role as a Cybils Round 1 judge. I enjoy reading nominated books to share with my students. 

Coming up this week







                         

2 comments:

  1. The two Rylant books are ones we love in my classroom and use as memoir mentor texts...but the Ninja one is new to me, and I especially adore that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not read Night in the Country until this year. You will indeed enjoy Ninja. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete