Thursday, June 7, 2012

Poetry Friday: Poem Runs

Poem Runs
written and paintings by Douglas Florian
2012 (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
Source: Orange County Public Library

Check out Poetry Friday at Jama's Alphabet Soup







The winter is through.
The springtime is here.
The season is new.
The weather is clear.
We're ready to hit one
Right over the wall.
The winter is through-
Throw out the first ball!


Even though football has replaced baseball as the premier sport in America, it is baseball that makes old fogeys like me wax nostalgic about our youth. I played catcher for the Pirates in Little League. The best part was everyone, win or lose, got a soda after the game. If we won, we would ride in the open trunk of a car and honk the horn celebrating our victory in the neighborhood. This was back in the day where car safety wasn't the priority it is now. Douglas Florian's Poem Runs makes me think of those days and how I enjoyed playing the game and how I still like watching minor league baseball. You know Florian is a big fan since he writes a poem specifically for the right fielder and mentions picking daisies which is a great skill for a young right fielder. With the exception of center field and left field, each position receives their own poem. I love the verbs in these poems. Baseballs are snatched or grabbed with ease. The poem, A Baseball, lists 14 different things actions you can take with a baseball. Each poem oozes with the joy of playing this sport. Accompanying the poems are mixed media paintings that are "kid-like" and exaggerate the qualities of each subject.

Poem Runs would be a nice change of pace for shared reading experiences. You can write a poem on chart paper and have the class read it with you. Older students could write poems for positions in other sports. Swimmers could write a poem about the backstroke. Soccer players could write a poem for the striker or the goalie. There are a ton of possibilities. Florian's poems also show children how you can play with the shape of poems. Poem Runs will be a hit for poetry fans.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review - looks like a good one for young athletes! And I love your writing ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband, who's a Yankees fanatic, but not especially a poetry fan, would probably like this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Douglas is unstoppable! Can't wait to see this book.

    I admit to preferring baseball to football, so I'll join you in the old fogeys section behind home plate. I love that there's a phone in the dugout so they can order take-out pizza :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone for stopping by! Douglas is a Mets fan, Doraine, so make sure you don't tell your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I think my son would love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Florian...every one of his collections is such a joy to read. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Douglas Florian's poetry AND his art!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, I think I will try writing a basketball poem today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the review, Jeff! I may be a Mets fan, but I do remember my dad taking me to a Yankee game where Mickey Mantle hit TWO upper-deck homers, and Yogi ("When you come to the fork in the road, take it") Berra, Moose Skowron, and Roger Maris also hit homers, as the Yanks drubbed the Kansas City Athletics 11-3. I was a little league shortstop, but I always admired the toughness of catchers, conveyed in my poem. Thanx again! Douglas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Douglas! I was a little league catcher for two years and I remember having to block the plate and throw out runners. Thanks for sharing your Yankees memories as well. Your book is terrific.

      Delete