Sunday, June 17, 2012

Nonfiction Monday: Destination Denmark! Day One


Check out Nonfiction Monday at Simply Science.

I'm currently on tour with our cohort in the Destination Denmark! study abroad program. I had an interesting conversation with a young Danish man who was seated next to me on the plane from New York to Copenhagen. He just finished a two year stint teaching high school science in Pennsylvania and was returning home. We found so many similarities in our thoughts about students and the state of education in general. It was refreshing to share with a teacher from another country. 

After landing and enjoying a delicious Danish breakfast , it was time to explore Copenhagen. We strolled down Stroget (a large car-free pedestrian area) on our way to Nyhavn which is a long canal bordered by colorful houses. 


One of the striking qualities of Danish culture is architecture. You will find so many interesting buildings in Copenhagen. Case in point: Vor Frelsers Kirke (pictured at the top of the post). The spire, completed in 1752, runs around the exterior and is accessible to visitors. A 295 ft view awaits the hardy hikers who dare to go to the top. 

Tomorrow's agenda includes a session on the Oresund Bridge and a visit to a local school. If time permits, I hope to post again tomorrow. I am fortunate to be with this terrific group of educators. 

8 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful time! Your students will benefit from your travels next year, I'm sure! Your photo reminds me of the waterfront in the Dutch island in Curacao. I guess Denmark and the Netherlands must have similar architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trip looks fantastic--what a great opportunity. I've enjoyed reading it so far. Thanks for participating in Nonfiction Monday.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, look at that breakfast table! I always associate Denmark with cheese, looks like they are living up to that image!

    Are you riding bikes around Copenhagen?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone for visiting today! There are a ton of bike riders here in Copenhagen but I haven't joined yet. Perhaps near the end of the week I will. The architecture is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great time! Will be looking forward to your upcoming posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a terrific trip, Jeff. It's great to read about your experience. Yes, I so agree with you -- the architecture is great. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean! The mix of old and new in design is interesting to observe.

      Delete