Friday, June 15, 2012

Destination Denmark!

Check out STEM Friday with author Melissa Stewart guest hosting this week.

It has been perhaps the busiest spring of my career. I finished my first year of teaching 5th grade and just closed out my class this past week. Since I haven't been a solo classroom teacher for several years, I forgot how much work is involved in finishing the year. So much stuff to be stored and forms to be signed. Our church is changing our K-5 curriculum and I have been heavily involved in this endeavor. I am in the finishing stages of my first book (Spring, 2013: shameless plug) which is very exciting but there is still much to do there as well. You would think that I had enough on my plate, but sometimes you can't pass up an opportunity. The Center for International Understanding, based at the University of North Carolina, offers teachers a chance to travel overseas for a week each summer to study. This is very generous since most of the cost is covered by sponsors. I was fortunate enough to be accepted into this program and tomorrow we take off for Denmark. One of our goals is to study the use of technology in Denmark. Our group will attend a session about the Oresund Bridge which you see above. This bridge connects Denmark and Sweden. Another focus will be the use of renewable resources in Denmark. I'm excited about this chance and hope to blog about it in the coming week. Check back here to see if I am able to adapt to life in northern Europe.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful opportunity! Have a great time and tell us all about it when your return. I'd like to hear more about your book, too. It's never shameless promotion!
    Shirley at SimplyScience

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Shirley! I'll will indeed share more about the book as we go further into the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a fantastic trip. I look forward to reading about it in the coming weeks. I also look forward to reading more about your book. I agree with Shirley, it is not shameless promotion and we are happy to hear of it.

    ReplyDelete