Thursday, June 21, 2012

Destination Denmark!: Day 4

We started Day 4 with a visit to the Energy and Water Science Centre in Valby. Children and teachers come to learn about the importance of renewable energy and taking care of our resources. Now why am I in the toilet? This is an entrance to a display about the history of sewer systems and why they were developed. There are bars underneath the lid where you climb down to a tunnel. There is also an excellent outdoor lab where children learn about the use of water and a renewable energy lab on the roof of the main building. Our host Jesper made a crucial point when he said that young children need to play if they are going to learn and apply this important information. That made a big impression on me and I hope I will keep that in mind in the coming school year. The visit ended with our group getting to take short rides on two electric bicycles. I would like to have one of these so I can keep up with the more experienced riders of Copenhagen.

When we returned to Copenhagen, I went to Amalienborg Castle to view the changing of the guard at noon. This was interesting ceremony to observe and contrast with the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Washington D.C. which I saw in April. I also visited Rosenborg Castle and it was a beautiful area.

The book Number the Stars takes place in Copenhagen, so I did some background research at the Danish Resistance Museum and also visited the Danish Jewish Museum. The stories were uplifting and heartbreaking  which I will never forget.

Wednesday night was time for a visit to Tivoli Gardens. Tivoli well exceeded my expectations. It was incredible what was packed into this small city area. I wish I could tell more but my bus leaves in ten minutes.  I will try to tell more in a later post. 




1 comment:

  1. "young children need to play if they are going to learn and apply this important information" What wonderful words to hear. Kids need to play to learn, and if we skip right to "the learning" it usually doesn't go so well.
    thanks for sharing these comments AND the toilet. Stephanie mentioned it in her blog but I was having trouble picturing it. The Boston Children's Museum used to have a manhole cover that you could climb through to see what was under the street--very cool, almost as good as a toilet.

    ReplyDelete