Monday, December 19, 2011

My Favorite Nonfiction Children's Books for 2011

Here is a list of the nonfiction books that I have reviewed in the past calendar year that were my favorites.

A Nation's Hope - This book is my overall favorite for 2011. I have loved sports since the crib, and this is a spectacular book about an important sporting event. I would be delighted if it won the Caldecott Medal.

Hummingbirds: Facts and Folklore from the Americas - I knew back in February that this would be one of my favorites and I haven't changed my mind. The quilted artwork is terrific and the text could be used for a variety of lessons in the classroom.

What's For Dinner?: Quirky, Squirmy Poems from the Animal World - Delightfully creepy. This was a good year for the marriage of science and poetry.

The Fabulous Flying Machines of Alberto Santos-Dumont/My Hands Sing the Blues - I love history lessons that change your thinking. I was totally in the dark about Alberto Santos-Dumont and Romare Bearden before I read these books.

Witches: The Absolutely True Tale of Disaster in Salem -  Not a feel-good story, but well worth the time invested to learn about this somber period in American history. This is excellent storytelling.

From Pie Town to Yum Yum / Cool Animal Names - Two fun books about quirky names. The first is about names of towns in the United States while the second is full of unique animal names. I need to find a pig frog in Bat Cave. 

Bloody Times - This connection of Abraham Lincoln's funeral train and the multi-state flight of Jefferson Davis was difficult to put down.

Animal Naps - Another fun combination of science and poetry, this book contains my favorite photographs of 2011.

After the Kill - Not for the squeamish, this book gives you an up close look at life on the Serengeti Plain.






2 comments:

  1. Looks like I’ve got some reading to do! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete