Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Perfect Snow

Perfect Snow
written and illustrated by Barbara Reid
2011 (Albert Whitman and Company)
Source: Review copy provided by the publisher

Scott and Jim are brothers who love snow days. Jim doesn't even crack a frown when his sister tells him that school will still be open. He can't wait for recess. Scott decides to build a team of snowmen while Jim is trying to create a "Snow Fortress of Doom." Scott can only make so many snowmen by himself, while Jim is caught up in a blizzard due to everyone taking snow from his fort efforts. The recess bell gives the boys time to reflect and they decide to combine their ideas to make a massive fort of snowmen at lunch time. The end of the day brings the satisfaction of a job well done in the perfect snow.  

I saw the word distinctive in a blurb from the Booklist review of Perfect Snow and I can't think of a better word to describe the illustrations. I have limited knowledge, but I can't recall seeing anything like this with the combination of pressed plasticine, that gives it a 3-D look, and panels of ink drawings. Absolutely cool! This book captures the joy of watching falling snow and then playing in it. You could use this book to teach lessons on cause and effect or problem and solution. I like how the brothers work together to problem solve. An excellent companion book for Perfect Snow would be one of my favorite pieces of nonfiction text, Recess at Twenty Below, which chronicles a day at school for a class of Alaskan students.


2 comments:

  1. My kids are looking forward to some "perfect snow" to play in this winter. I'm not ready for the cold yet, however!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me either! It started getting cold today and I was not ready. Thank you for stopping by today.

    ReplyDelete