Friday, July 29, 2011

STEM Friday: Inside Hurricanes

Inside Hurricanes
written by Mary Kay Carson
2010 (Sterling Publishing)
Source: Mebane Public Library

Check out STEM Friday at Chapter Book of the Day and Wrapped In Foil

I'm a little late to the Inside Hurricanes party, but my wife checked out this book and told me I had to read it. She's brilliant so I took her advice. I've read several hurricane books in the last few years, but I think this is the most complete book on hurricanes that I have read. I admire Mary Kay Carson's approach to this book. She gives the reader information from several different angles. First, there is the geography angle where she shows you where and when hurricanes happen. Several dynamic maps in this section. Did you know that western South America rarely sees tropical storms? Next, we get the meteorologist angle where the stages of hurricane development are laid out in superb diagrams and an equally cool four stage fold-out page where you view satellite photos displaying the sequence of a hurricane's life. The fold-out Saffir-Simpson scale is impressive as well.  History buffs will like the Hurricanes to Remember section that features famous hurricanes. Included in the information for each historical hurricane is an I Was There! insert which is a first hand report from a survivor of that particular storm.

Inside Hurricanes is a must-see resource for teachers who teach weather or just weather geeks like me. I love the combination of science, geography, and history. The photographs are striking, especially the section on Hurricane Katrina. You can pull this book and teach text features or use a photograph for a writing prompt. Now I need to check out Carson's Inside Tornadoes.

Other reviews:
Wrapped in Foil
Growing with Science (check out the activities)



2 comments:

  1. PERFECT timing, Jeff! August is the start of peak hurricane season. In fact, I just posted an activity from the book on the Hands-On-Books blog, in case anyone wants to see how to make a simple barometer and observe air pressure changes.
    http://hands-on-books.blogspot.com/

    Thanks for your generous review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Kay, thank you for stopping by. I'm glad you mentioned the activity. I need to try it with my students. Now on to your tornado book!

    ReplyDelete