Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Ben Franklin, His Wit and Wisdom from A-Z

Ben Franklin, His Wit and Wisdom from A-Z
written by Alan Schroeder; illustrated by John O'Brien
2011 (Holiday House)
Source: Mebane Public Library

"To succeed, jump as quickly at opportunities as you do at conclusions."

If I checked correctly, our public library in Mebane has 85 titles relating to Benjamin Franklin. So why talk about yet another Franklin book? I'll answer that question with another question: Is there an American historical figure more fascinating than Ben Franklin? I think not. Every time I read a Franklin book, I learn something new. I didn't know that Benjamin Franklin was a general in the army during the French and Indian War. Another new story for me was of Franklin defending a group of Conestoga Indians in February 1764.  Ben Franklin, His Wit and Wisdom from A-Z is full of interesting tidbits about this beloved figure.

I like the format for this book. Alan Schroeder includes several pieces of information for each letter of the alphabet. Franklin's wise sayings are also liberally sprinkled throughout the book. John O'Brien's illustrations are very humorous and could be used for a lesson on inference. I would also use this book to encourage children to create similar A-Z books about a famous figure.

Other reviews:
The Fourth Musketeer



No comments:

Post a Comment