Monday, April 4, 2011

Nonfiction Monday: Hail! Ancient Greeks

Hail! Ancient Greeks
written by Jen Green
(Crabtree Publishing) 2011
Source: Orange County Public Library

Check out Nonfiction Monday at L.L. Owens

As you can see by the cover, Hail! Ancient Greeks is designed to look like a tabloid magazine, but the information inside is much more reliable. Part of a larger series on ancient civilizations, this book focuses on the history of the ancient Greek culture. There is a little something for everyone in this text. Percy Jackson fans will find information about Greek gods and goddesses. If you like military history, learn more about the Spartans and their war with Athens and there is also a section on Alexander the Great. I love sports, so I was intrigued by the information on the origin of the Olympic Games. There are also features on the economy of ancient Greece, literature such as poetry, comedies, and tragedies, and Greek architecture.

Hail! Ancient Greeks is written like a tabloid magazine or USA Today. You get small pieces of information on many different topics. I like the possibility of students doing their own research on a culture and/or country and replicating this style. It might be more engaging for some students who are not fond of writing long reports. This could also be the source of a great lesson on summarizing since you have to research and take large chunks of information and whittle them down to smaller chunks. I'm not saying all writing should look like this, but it's nice to present students with a change of pace instead of writing the same research reports all the time. If you are studying ancient cultures, text in the style of Hail! Ancient Greeks may be just the ticket for an introduction.

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like a more colorful Dateline: Troy (by Paul Fleischman) for an even younger set. You're right, Percy Jackson fans and kids too young for Percy Jackson, but who are still fascinated with Greek mythology will eat this up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check out Fleischman's book. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about ancient Greece! I have a similar book from the library (I think is it called Greek News), but I will check this one out too. I like this type of resource because you can present information in small spurts and teach a about writing a newspaper or magazine article. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My library doesn't have this one yet, but I'll have to ask about it. Ancient Greece is always a hot topic for research projects. As a matter of fact, local kids are working on Ancient Greece projects right now. Your posts are always timely for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really appreciate all of the visits and kind words today! I agree that this book would be great for projects.

    ReplyDelete