Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Rapunzel

Rapunzel
based on The Brothers Grimm tale; illustrated by Sarah Gibb
(Albert Whitman) 2011
Source: Review copy provided by the publisher

A beautiful young wife lies gravely ill in her bed. Her husband is desperate to help his love who is expecting their first child. She says the only way to save her life is to eat of the salad greens from the enchanted garden next door. The husband acquires the greens, but at a price. A witch owns the garden and makes him promise to give her the couple's first child as payment for his wife's life. When the child is born, the couple's happiness is short-lived as the witch comes and whisks the child away to a secret castle. She gives the baby the name of Rapunzel and keeps her in a tower.

What first draws you to this book is the fabulous classic cover. A combination of pastels and silhouetted figures comprise the elegant illustrations inside. The text will appeal to students as there is plenty of action and suspense. Rapunzel will fit nicely in your fairy tale unit. I like to read several tales and find similarities and differences between the texts. This dovetails nicely with the use of graphic organizers. You can also teach themes (good vs. evil) when working with fairy tales. If you are looking for a book gift for a girl between the ages of 4-7, you should buy a copy of Rapunzel. It will fit nicely in the bedtime story rotation. All the girls in my household gave Rapunzel a big thumbs up.

Other reviews of Rapunzel:
SurLaLune Fairy Tales
Publisher's Weekly

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by Book Talk Tuesday! This book is on my to order list- I loved the cover! I worry that when I get a fairy tale in, it will end up being too wordy and kids avoid it. How is this one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment should have been from me! My husband was logged in!!

    Thanks for stopping by Book Talk Tuesday! This book is on my to order list- I loved the cover! I worry that when I get a fairy tale in, it will end up being too wordy and kids avoid it. How is this one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kelly! Rapunzel contains more text than a normal picture book, but not a daunting amount. I would estimate about 15-20 minutes for reading aloud at bedtime. You had a great crowd at Book Talk Tuesday. Congratulations on an excellent start and thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete