Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Quiet Book

The Quiet Book
written by Deborah Underwood; illustrated by Renata Liwska
(Houghton Mifflin Harcourt) 2010
Source: Graham Public Library

My six year old daughter saw my library copy of The Quiet Book and remarked, "The Quiet Book! I love The Quiet Book." Do you need to know any more before you find a copy of this wonderful book? Deborah Underwood's concept may strike you as a simple idea, but as a kindergarten teacher I can tell you that it is sheer genius. Each page features a different kind of quiet. "First one awake quiet", "Sleeping sister quiet", and my favorite, "Top of the roller coaster quiet" are some of the types of quiet listed. Renata Liwska's illustrations are sweet, thought-provoking, funny, and beyond adorable. This is a book that provoked a ton of discussion with my students since they were able to make so many connections. Students of all ages will find some kind of quiet that makes them think about a past experience. After we finished reading the book, my students generated some other kinds of quiet as an extension activity:
  • Watching a deer quiet
  • Sitting at the movies quiet
  • Playing in my room quiet
  • Walking in the hallway quiet
  • Circle time quiet
  • Holding hands quiet (my contribution)
This is one of my favorite books of the year. It is so clever and thoughtful with terrific illustrations. Only time will tell if it becomes a classic, but it sure has that feel to it.  Now if we could get a sequel titled The Loud Book.

Postscript: Debra Underwood was kind enough to email me and tell me that indeed a sequel with this title arrives in the spring! Seriously, I had no idea, but am delighted. My students and I may have to create a list and see if any of our thoughts match the book. 

Other reviews of The Quiet Book:
Kids Lit
Tell Me a Story

No comments:

Post a Comment