Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Because I Am Your Daddy

Because I Am Your Daddy
written by Sherry North; illustrated by Marcellus Hall
(Abrams Books for Young Readers) 2010
Source: Orange County Public Library

My oldest daughter wanted to ride the swings at Hershey Park in Pennsylvania. I had no intention of riding since the swings are not my thing. I prefer to hurtle 300 feet downward on a steel coaster where I am strapped in to the max. The swings seem a little too "freewheeling" for me. But my daughter wanted to ride and being her father, I wanted to make sure she had a good time so I went too. This is what dads do. Because I Am Your Daddy does a great job of capturing this essence of fatherhood where we will do things because our daughters request it. The dad in the poem says "If I were a carpenter, I would use my saw and drill, to build two wooden go-karts for racing down the hill." The whole poem flows like this where the father declares his love for his daughter by stating what he would do if he were a certain type of person. The poem ends with the summarizing line "Because I am your daddy, I will do anything for you" and this brings up a key point. The dad in the book does things for and with his daughter instead of just signing her up for activities or buying her things. It's about spending time with your kid and this is a lesson that can't be learned soon enough.

Because I Am Your Daddy would make a great Father's Day read aloud especially if dads are present in the classroom. It also could be a choice for shared reading where you could use it like a cloze activity where students have to provide the last word of the two rhyming lines. Author Sherry North has a Father's Day kit for teachers to use in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment