Monday, June 21, 2010

13 Paintings Children Should Know

13 Paintings Children Should Know
written by Angela Wenzel
(Prestel) 2009
Source: Orange County Public Library
Nonfiction Monday: SimplyScience Blog (check out the other nonfiction reviews for today)

I'm old enough to have grown up with AM radio before the talkers took over. There were only three channels of television so you listened to a lot of radio (Casey Kasem was "must hear" listening!) to hear the latest hits. This means I know snippets of about 7 million songs, give or take a million. Of course, the only song I know the complete lyrics to is Happy Birthday and that's about it. My blast from the past came to mind after reading the engaging 13 Paintings Children Should Know from Angela Wenzel. I've seen most of these paintings before but could only name 3 of the 13.
For example, I've seen these cherubs in plenty of places:

Now do I have any idea where they came from? Of course not. Well, they are located at the bottom of Raphael's Sixtine Madonna. This book is loaded with art history that students will find interesting.  If you are wanting to use something a little different for teaching text features, I would try 13 Paintings. There's a time line that runs across the top of each page, a glossary of art terms, and tips on drawing for each painting featured. Historical facts are included in the time line to help the reader get a sense of the history of the time period in which the painting was created. Paintings featured include Mona Lisa, Water Lilies, and one of my personal favorites, Edward Hopper's Nighthawks:

If you have a student who is interested in art and history, check out 13 Paintings and put it in their hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment