Monday, March 8, 2010

Touchdown: The Power and Precision of Football's Perfect Play


In my childhood, a significant portion of the books that I read were about sports.  I would read about any sport, especially if the text was about the history of the sport.  I know I was not alone or sports radio would not exist today.  I distinctly remember reading Green Bay offensive lineman Jerry Kramer's Instant Replay and being transported to an NFL locker room.  These memories were stirred by the release of Touchdown: The Power and Precision of Football's Perfect Play by Mark Stewart and Mike Kennedy

Stewart and Kennedy have created a blend of history, statistics, and iconic photographs that will please any young sports fan.  The accounts of Garo Yepremian's botched pass and John Riggins's breakaway Super Bowl run brought a smile to my face as the son of a devout Redskins fan.  I also enjoyed reading the first chapter about the beginnings of football and learning about the Rugby school in England where it all began. Sports are an integral part of the American cultural experience and can be used to motivate young readers.

There should be a basket devoted to sports books in any classroom library.  Reluctant readers (especially boys but not exclusively) are usually drawn to these books.  Touchdown is of a higher grade than the usual nonfiction sports fare and could be used to spur research writing.  You could also display the beginning paragraphs of each chapter and teach how to write an introductory paragraph.

3 comments:

  1. It's so important to draw attention to reading, and attract reluctant readers to it,especially boys. In fact, I've recently completed a feature magazine article on this subject that came out in October, "Help for Struggling, Reluctant Readers."

    I grew up as a reluctant reader, in spite of the fact that my father published over 70 books. Now I write action-adventures & mysteries, especially for tween boys, that avid boy readers and girls enjoy just as much.

    My blog, Books for Boys http://booksandboys.blogspot.com is dedicated to drawing attention to the importance of reading. And my new book, Lost Island Smugglers - first in the Sam Cooper Adventure Series - is coming out in June. Contracts are also signed for Captain Jack's Treasure and River Rampage.

    Keep up your good work.

    Max Elliot Anderson
    PS. My first 7 books are going to be republished by Comfort Publishing later in 2010

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the book suggestion! I have a list of Favorite Books for Reluctant Boy Readers at my blog http://pragmaticmom.com

    See gray navigation bar, entry Book Lists, and see scroll down bar for Books for Reluctant Boy Readers.

    Pragmatic Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, Max and Mia! Mark Stewart and Mike Kennedy are fairly prolific authors, so if you like this title, they have written several other sports books.

    ReplyDelete