Saturday, January 2, 2010

When We're Together

What do you think about when you hear the word together? If I'm hungry, I'm thinking about peanut butter and jelly together. If I'm watching football, I'm thinking about a quarterback and a wide receiver who work together to connect for a touchdown. If I'm with my family, I'm thinking about the good times we have together.

When We're Together, written by Claire Freedman and illustrated by Jane Chapman, is a series of rhymes that celebrate being together with loved ones. A rabbit family enjoys their time together in several different settings (sledding in the snow, playing on the beach).  The time of year is not the important thing, but instead it is the fact that they are together having fun.

Preschoolers and primary students will enjoy reading this book with you.  When We're Together could be used for shared reading or for a mini-lesson on making connections.  A great writing extension would be to ask students to write about a time that they enjoyed being together with a group of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment