Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009

Even though I didn't get started until August, I ended up reviewing quite a few books. The process starts with staking out two of our local public libraries (we have great librarians in our small towns) and checking out any enticing books that show up in the new sections (picture and chapter books).  After reviewing the picture books (the bulk of what I do), I pass them on to a kindergarten class and then to a first grade class. I mention this to say that my favorite picture book of this year (it's difficult to pick just one!) is the same choice as the kindergarten class. Millie's Marvellous Hat is a wonder and gets better every time I read it.  I could spend hours thinking about all the people in the park and their hats.

One other book that I will think about for a long time is When You Reach Me.  As Mr. Slinger would say, "Wow."

Thank you to everyone who has encouraged me during this endeavor.  I hope it is helpful to anyone who happens to stop by.  Best wishes for 2010!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Jeff! Saw you on Kidlitosphere! Sounds like you had the same reaction as I did to When You Reach Me. I am getting ready to read it again. I can't wait to see how I feel about it after that second read. Glad you enjoyed it and welcome to the blogging world. I, too, am new to this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to having some time to reread When You Reach Me this summer. I'll be curious to see if it receives some love from the Newbery committee next week.

    ReplyDelete