Monday, October 26, 2009

A Book by Mordicai Gerstein


A little girl lives inside a book. When the book is closed, her family is asleep. When the book is open, the family wakes up and starts their story. The problem for the little girl is that, unlike the rest of her family, she does not have a story. This book is her adventure in trying to find her story.

A Book by Mordicai Gerstein (The Man Who Walked Between the Towers - In my top five all time favorites!) is an extremely clever and humorous book. Gerstein takes us through several genres and illustrates the book from the reader's point of view. After having the book read to her, my youngest daughter promptly asked for a piece of paper so she could write her own book.


I am going to purchase this book to start my study of genres and when we begin our writer's notebooks in August. It is a wonderful celebration of the joy of being part of a story whether you are the reader or the writer. A good compare and contrast lesson with A Book would be The Three Pigs by David Wiesner.

2 comments:

  1. 2nd and 5th grade teachers at my school are talking about your site, your recommendations and teaching selections--thanks for sharing this with us! grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used this with my WTP group this morning--they loved the book. And there is so much to do with it for my listening comprehension group. Our purpose for reading today was looking for characters. We ended up making a HUGE list. Thanks for bringing this book to my attention.

    ReplyDelete