Saturday, October 3, 2009

Best Book of the Year?

There is so much buzz in the kidlit blogosphere (see Fuse #8 review) about When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead that I had to find out what all the fuss was about. Believe the hype.

12 year old latchkey kid Miranda begins receiving mysterious notes from someone who seems to know the future. She is asked to complete tasks that will prevent a tragedy.

I was about Miranda's age in 1979 and this book really took me back. It truly was a different world where kids had more independence than the world affords them today. Stead captured the era but did so much more than that. The ending was amazing and will stay with me for a long time.

1 comment:

  1. this book is amazing. I'm about to reread A Wrinkle in Time so I can see where the two books overlap.
    Once I got to the end of the book I went back to reread how Stead set up the tension in this story. The end is complicated and interesting, and peeking won't help because the end only makes sense after you read the rest of the book.

    ReplyDelete